I think it was Thursday. The sun didn’t exactly shine bright, but the overcast haziness outside was lighter for a while. There were shadows beneath our trees, shadows that indicate light. It wasn’t much, but it was enough to lift my spirits for an afternoon.
It was my light at the end of the tunnel.
The tunnel of another long Minnesota winter. The tunnel lined with cold, hard, gray day after cold, hard, gray day.
Friday and Saturday brought the return of cold, hard, and gray. I felt the difference, literally, in my body, in my mood, in my mind, and I thought about the difference. The difference between an almost palpable energetic optimism and the feeling of exhausted indifference taking hold, the difference a little sunlight can make.
I realized the date, the fact that we are only a few days away from the end of January. I inhaled deeply, and exhaled, attempting to blow away the gloom.
“We’ve almost made it!”
The thought ran through my head shouting, hooting, and hollering like a high school kid whose football team just took the conference title and was on its way to state. “Woohoo! Yes! Way-To-Go!” “High-five!!” I was seriously celebrating inside.
I was gonna make it.
And here we are. It’s Monday, January 31st, the last day of the month that can be so brutal, the month I usually have to drag myself through, by sheer will power many days. The book of January is closing, and I’ve only had a few dark moments, brief flashes of that dark place “a good mother”, “a good Christian”, tries not to admit to going. Depression. A few moments, brief flashes, that did not overtake, did not defeat.
This is a victory, a small, and yet monumental, personal victory.
So much to be thankful for-
676. pan after pan of cinnamon scones
677. moments of victory
678. knowing that spring always comes, every year
679. thoughts of starting seeds for summer plants
680. 32 weeks of healthy pregnancy
681. finding a forgotton bag of baby girl clothes in the garage
682. a husband holding my belly, grinning wide
683. bean bags
684. silly toddler squeals of delight over bean bags
685. a sister playing so sweetly with a little brother
686. chubby little boy feet
687. whispy blonde little girl hair
688. mint chocolate chip ice cream
689. a husband optimistic about business
690. a sweet book to bless this mother’s heart
Ann’s new book, One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are, is out! Her (blog) writing has challenged and inspired me so much the past couple years. Her book is challenging and inspiring me now, and I’d like to gift a copy to one of you, praying that you would be challenged and inspired as well. Inspired to a life of gratitude, living in true thankfulness for the multitudes of blessings He bestows on each of us every day, undeserving as we are…
How to enter:
Leave a comment on this post, name just one thing you are thankful for today, by midnight (CST) on Wednesday, February 2nd. Easy-peasy, n’est-ce pas?
And for those of you competitive types, who’d like extra chances to win, you may…
– “Join” An Ordinary Mom on Google Friend Connect (left sidebar)
– “Follow” @Ordinary_Mom on Twitter
– “Tweet” about this giveaway (you can use the share button)
– “Like” An Ordinary Mom on facebook
– “Share” this post on facebook
Leave a separate comment for each entry, you know the drill…
Ok, ready? Name something you’re thankful for today…
Oh, and one more thing- while I normally try not to be all about self-promotion, ’cause that’s really not cool, just for this week, you know, since it’s my little blog party week, I’ll be adding this little plea for validation “vote for me” button, to my posts. If you feel so inclined to click, I thank you kindly in advance 🙂